If you are looking for a great healthy cold weather dish, I highly recommend trying this tasty recipe. My mom is a vegetarian, and I worked to perfect this recipe because I love lentils, and I wanted something she could also enjoy. The flavor comes from all the vegetables, and I have found that using chicken stock is not necessary. I load it up with other healthy things, such as spinach and carrots. This is one of my go-to lunches that I try to eat once a week all year round.
Vegetable Lentil Stew
A thick vegetarian stew made of legumes and tons of vegetables served hot.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Pot
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1/4 cup Lentils
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 Carrot
- 4 ounces Spinach
- 1 Russet Potato
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Boil Water In Sauce Pan
- Chop everything into spoon size bites and slice garlic
- Add Lentils and turn the heat down to medium-low
- Add chopped ingredients and spices
- Cover and cook with a gentle rolling boil for 30 minutes
- Cook out the remaining liquid by turning the heat up to high and make sure to continuously stir stew for 10 minutes
You can substitute a sweet potato if you want it to be healthier, but I find the starch from the Russet Potato helps fuse the flavors of all the vegetables.
I actually eat 2 portions myself for lunch, but I use a small potato if you are sharing use a very large potato.
Also, be careful not to let this burn. I have ruined more than one pot.